Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Life Changes

It's been about a year and a half since I decided to change my lifestyle and be a more healthy person. In that time I've learned a lot and I though it would be nice to have a few posts about my story and what I've been doing to be a more healthy person.

My decision to change doesn't start with me but rather with some one I'm very close with. My brother had been telling me about his change to be more healthy and to start running. He has some blog posts about it on his blog. Here is the first post. This is all fine and well for him and didn't effect me until he came out to Colorado for a visit. When he got here, I noticed how much happier he was an was jealous. I have been working in an office for the last four years and at that point weighed in at about 248lbs. He inspired me to quit smoking an start changing my life style.

See, we all know what we are doing to be unhealthy but for some reason it's hard to figure out a way of doing things differently. With the diet and exercise industry making it seem like it should be easy and the fact that year after year the statistics show that it isn't getting better. In fact, the health of world is going down hill. It's so hard to find a place to start. That's why I wanted to have a few posts on what I've found out and what ever advice I can offer others.

Till the next post I urge you to check out the documentary "Food inc.", "Super Size Me" and "Water Wars" and this video from Ted. This should set you up with an idea how disassociated we've become with what we put in our bodies. Hopefully I can share some ways to help you change all that.

More to come, stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

reading your recommendations I thought I might add one and recommend this talk by Mr. Tel-Oren on googletechtalks. I think its a goog one:
http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleTechTalks#p/u/50/JzV7v9ScZZM

He talks about functional medicine, which appears to be a good science-based, non-esoteric but still holistic approach to health, the body and its environment. I liked it.