Monday, October 27, 2008

My Message Must Be Clear, Even In Bad Weather.

Having recently experienced a situation where three people I was with wore a t-shirt over a long sleeve shirt, I thought I would examine the psychology behind this type of fashion statement.

By placing your favorite t-shirt over a long sleeve your telling the world "I have something to say and it cannot and will not be silenced by chilly weather." Frankly, I see their point. It takes a lot of time and effort, not to mention money, to assemble the perfect wardrobe of shirts that express all the things you love and hate. People must know your favorite bands, movies and comic book characters if they are going to make a fair snap judgment first impression. They must know that you hate the current president, whiners and mean people. You spent years seeking out the perfect tee to say to the world "I like this" or "I hate that." You went to concerts, conventions and conferences so that you could make the statement "I have a life and can prove it." Let's not forget politics. How will people know that you have wacko political views like anarchist, conspiracy theorist or republican? How will Tibet ever be free? "Don't have a cow, man", "Did I do that?", "I've fallen and I can't get up" You need to show you're up on popular culture by sporting a shirt with a catchy popular phrase that's going around. Ladies, if your t-shirts are relegated to the mundane task of under garment, how will men know that you are "Sassy", "Cute" or an "Angel"? Your dating life may as well be over. No one could be expected to purchase all of these in both long and short sleeve varieties, so that is why I say "Cold weather be damned!" Let your first amendment rights march unabated by a slight down turn on the thermometer. Just hope that it does not get any colder or we all will be relegated to dark ages of winter coats.

1 comment:

./dave said...

Also, it keeps me warm when I ride my bike to work.