Sunday, October 26, 2008

That's Right, I'm Turning Into "That Guy"

When I was younger I was really into comic books. My favorites where Spiderman, X-Men, Punisher, Silver Surfer and Night Thrasher. It was one of those hobbies that you get into as a kid because your friends, who you think are cool, are into it and then you find out that you really do like them. However, I grew up, and my affection for comic books faded. Then recently, I was watching a live episode of TRS at Comicon and they mentioned the upcoming movie "Watchmen". So, I looked into the graphic novel that is the basis for the upcoming movie and decided to check it out from the library.

All I have to say about "Watchmen" is "Holly crap, this is freakin' awesome." Obviously I'm a little late to the party since the comics came out in the mid 80's, but I loved it enough to write a review. This series for DC is what launched the genre of graphic novels. For the time period that it was written the art work is pretty good, not the most incredible I've ever seen, but good. Where this graphic novel excels is in it's writing. The premise of the graphic novel takes a completely different look at super heroes than my beloved comics of my youth. There is only one character with actual super powers and the story line deals heavily with what types of personalities would be drawn into masked vigilantism and why. Each character brings a different perspective to the table with it own quirks and baggage. Add to that with a plot of impending nuclear winter and intensive character development and you have a fantastic work of fiction. Even if you where never into comics as a kid, read this one before the movie comes out. You won't be disappointed. Reading this just might have taken my geekiness to the next level and made me "That Guy." You know the one that talks about graphic novels like there an art form that combines visual art with literature. Yeah, that might well be me now.

No comments: